The origins of the chateau date back more than 300 years. Over three centuries the building has seen its share of vicissitudes and long court cases between its previous owners. This was the case right up until 1862 when a certain Armand Bouvier became its master and started carrying out important renovation work on it. He paid particular attention to the gardens, which still retain their overall original design today. In particular, he is to be thanked for the wonderful path lined with elms. This exceptional tree has now become a rarity in the region.
The chateau suffered a great deal of damage during the Second World War. Requisitioned by the Germans, this almost sacred institution became their local command post for the north of Luxemburg. At the height of the Battle of Ardennes, it was abandoned to US soldiers (26th Inf "Yankee Division") who settled in for the harsh winter of 1944. To keep themselves warm, these soldiers were to tear down and burn part of its precious woodwork.
Picture : US Major General Willard S. Paul
Neglected from that time on, the chateau gradually began to disappear behind overgrown vegetation and be forgotten by the local people.
But this was only until a certain day in 2005 when Mr. Freddy Lodomez, an entrepreneur with a passion for restoration and national heritage, literally fell in love with the chateau and decided to acquire it and bring it back to its former glory. He aimed to achieve a happy alchemy of past and present, authentic and modern, comfort and practicality
For three years, about a hundred craftsmen worked non-stop, with the greatest respect for local traditions and what remained of the existing building, to return the chateau to its former beauty and splendour.